Information on Coronavirus
Due to the escalation of COVID-19 globally, the University of Notre Dame has made the difficult decision to prohibit all University-reimbursed international travel for students, faculty, and staff for summer 2020 and until further notice. Additionally, University-reimbursed domestic travel must be postponed or canceled unless an exception is granted by the dean. In accordance with University policy, the Institute for Scholarship in the Liberal Arts will not support undergraduate or graduate student grants this summer. All questions regarding this and other COVID-19 related policies should be directed to https://coronavirus.nd.edu/.
Upcoming Undergraduate Deadlines:
- Proposal Deadline for Seniors Graduating in May: January 31, 2020
- Spring Break Proposals with International Travel: February 20, 2020
- Spring Break Proposals w/ Domestic Travel: February 27, 2020
- Academic Year & Summer Grant Proposal Deadline: extended to March 23, 2020*
ISLA supports and promotes the research and creative endeavors of current University of Notre Dame undergraduates and graduate students through its Undergraduate Research Opportunity Program (UROP) and Graduate Student Research Opportunity Program (GROP).
These programs offer a variety of academic year and summer funding opportunities. Some grants focus on supporting scholarship on particular themes and topics, while others are dedicated to supporting general scholarly and creative endeavors. All of the grants are to be used to support student-initiated rather than classroom projects. Only the funded student may use the award to carry out the project.
Undergraduate proposals are accepted on a rolling basis from the beginning of the fall semester until after Spring Break. Proposals requesting funds for international travel during breaks must be submitted at least two weeks prior to the applicant's planned departure date. Seniors anticipating a May graduation must submit requests for funding no later than the second week of classes of the spring semester. Exceptions to this deadline are possible for seniors requesting Conference Presentation Grants who have received notice of the acceptance of their poster or paper after the January deadline.
For Undergraduate Students
The Undergraduate Research Opportunity Program (UROP) offers an array of grants for undergraduate students.
- Conference Presentation Grant
- Research & Materials Grant
- Senior Thesis Grant
- Comprehensive Summer Grant
- American Dream Summer Grant
- Da Vinci Summer Grant
- Dianna M. Sciola Academic Year and Summer Grant
- Social Justice in the Marketplace
For Graduate Students
The Graduate Student Research Opportunity Program (GROP) offers the following grants. Please note: those seeking funding for conferences, classes and workshops must apply for Graduate Student Professional Development Awards (administered by the Graduate School)
- Graduate Student Research Awards (GSRA) - October 14, 2019
- American Dream Summer Grants - extended to March 23, 2020*
- Diana M. Sciola Academic Year and Summer Grants - extended to March 23, 2020* (although we will continue to accept applications until March 23, all University-sponsored travel to Italy is currently suspended)