Information on Coronavirus
Due to the outbreak of 2019-novel coronavirus (COVID-19), the University of Notre Dame is prohibiting all University-sponsored travel to South Korea, Iran, and Italy and strongly advises against personal travel there.
At this time (3/6/20), the University has not prohibited travel to any other location; however, students must be sure to review the latest university-wide messages as well as important advice listed on the NDI website under Other University-Sponsored International Travel.
When making decisions concerning travel, please keep in mind that the health situation could significantly deteriorate in a matter of a few days and could affect your ability to return to campus because of travel restrictions or required self-isolation. Although our office will continue to accept grant applications, students may be required to postpone their travel until a later date.
Upcoming Undergraduate Deadlines:
- Proposal Deadline for Seniors Graduating in May: January 31, 2020
- Spring Break Proposals with International Travel: February 20, 2020
- Spring Break Proposals w/ Domestic Travel: February 27, 2020
- Academic Year & Summer Grant Proposal Deadline: extended to March 23, 2020*
ISLA supports and promotes the research and creative endeavors of current University of Notre Dame undergraduates and graduate students through its Undergraduate Research Opportunity Program (UROP) and Graduate Student Research Opportunity Program (GROP).
These programs offer a variety of academic year and summer funding opportunities. Some grants focus on supporting scholarship on particular themes and topics, while others are dedicated to supporting general scholarly and creative endeavors. All of the grants are to be used to support student-initiated rather than classroom projects. Only the funded student may use the award to carry out the project.
Undergraduate proposals are accepted on a rolling basis from the beginning of the fall semester until after Spring Break. Proposals requesting funds for international travel during breaks must be submitted at least two weeks prior to the applicant's planned departure date. Seniors anticipating a May graduation must submit requests for funding no later than the second week of classes of the spring semester. Exceptions to this deadline are possible for seniors requesting Conference Presentation Grants who have received notice of the acceptance of their poster or paper after the January deadline.
For Undergraduate Students
The Undergraduate Research Opportunity Program (UROP) offers an array of grants for undergraduate students.
- Conference Presentation Grant
- Research & Materials Grant
- Senior Thesis Grant
- Comprehensive Summer Grant
- American Dream Summer Grant
- Da Vinci Summer Grant
- Dianna M. Sciola Academic Year and Summer Grant
- Social Justice in the Marketplace
For Graduate Students
The Graduate Student Research Opportunity Program (GROP) offers the following grants. Please note: those seeking funding for conferences, classes and workshops must apply for Graduate Student Professional Development Awards (administered by the Graduate School)
- Graduate Student Research Awards (GSRA) - October 14, 2019
- American Dream Summer Grants - extended to March 23, 2020*
- Diana M. Sciola Academic Year and Summer Grants - extended to March 23, 2020* (although we will continue to accept applications until March 23, all University-sponsored travel to Italy is currently suspended)