External Fellowships and Grants
One of ISLA’s primary goals is to assist scholars in the College of Arts and Letters in securing external grants for research, artistic creativity, and academic conferences. Thanks to ISLA's efforts in this area, Notre Dame leads the nation in National Endowment for the Humanities fellowships and ranks in the Top 5 for major national fellowships in the arts, humanities, and social sciences—including Guggenheim, ACLS, and Fulbright awards, among others.
Fellowship and Grant Assistance
Research Development and Pre-Award Services
For those wishing to apply for a grant, we offer the following services:
- Targeted project-specific searches for grant opportunities
- Critiques of draft proposals
- Help in drafting letters of inquiry and narratives
- Proposal and budget development assistance
- Assistance with securing institutional cost-sharing
- Routing of grant proposals through the bureaucracy
We maintain a database of funding opportunities and keep a library of successful grant and fellowship proposals for faculty to read. We also sponsor grant and fellowship workshops for faculty.
Josh Tychonievich, Research Development Program Director, provides both one-on-one and group-based services that assist faculty members in preparing and winning grants. These include identifying and targeting specific grant opportunities, developing appropriate research teams, preparing competitive proposals, and interpreting sponsor feedback.
Lori Loftis, Pre-Award Program Manager in ND Research, provides additional assistance for faculty in most of the social sciences with their external applications for grants and fellowships. ND Research Pre-Award Program Manager Amelia Lutz assists faculty in economics as well as the arts and humanities. Services offered include identification of funding sources, review of sponsor guidelines, assistance with the routing and submission of competitive, compliant proposals, and budget development.
Grants Program Management
Once a faculty member has been awarded a grant, ISLA partners with Notre Dame Research to provide post-award administrative support. Shannon Buchmann and Emily Case of the Grants Program Management (GPM) team strive to provide administrative support specifically tailored to address the unique requirements of each Notre Dame researcher. Services provided by the GPM team include:
- Establish award budgets and accounts for grant expenditures
- Communicate terms of award and requirements to research team
- Conduct “launch meetings” with faculty to identify and coordinate project business needs
- Develop account projections/internal financial reporting for PIs to monitor and plan for grant expenditures
- Assist with purchasing/payments (buyND, Procard, check requisitions, etc.)
- Provide support for unique/complicated travel arrangements and expense reimbursements (travelND)
- Serve as liaison to central offices for unique, unusual, or odd questions/needs/concerns
- Create position descriptions, and assist a department with appointment needs
- Provide support for CORES (Core Ordering and Reporting Enterprise System), the core facility ordering and reporting software application