ISLA Strategic Plan
The Institute for Scholarship in the Liberal Arts advances and promotes research and creative endeavors in the College of Arts and Letters. From getting projects off the ground to sharing their impact with the world, ISLA ensures faculty and students at all levels of experience get the research support they need and the scholarly recognition they deserve.
ISLA aspires to be an unparalleled resource that empowers students and faculty to uncover the truths, ideas, and values that shape our world. We strive to continuously create, enhance, and refresh programs and partnerships that enable transformative discovery and inspired creative work that positively impact our local, national, and global communities.
Goals and Objectives
Goal 1: Provide relevant, efficient, and impactful internal programs that financially support research projects and creative work.
- Curate and effectively steward a portfolio of internal funding opportunities that enhance faculty projects, publications, and exhibitions.
- Facilitate outstanding graduate student projects, theses, and dissertations.
- Enable undergraduate students to transcend the conventional boundaries of classroom learning and engage in hands-on research and creative projects.
- Support and highlight scholarship that focuses on topics of timely importance to society.
- Promote diversity, equity, inclusion, and participation in scholarship.
Goal 2: Elevate the external funding profile, reputation, and visibility of research conducted in the College of Arts and Letters.
- Provide effective one-on-one and group-based services that assist faculty members in preparing and winning external grants.
- Build strong relationships between the College’s faculty and grant agencies, foundations, corporations, and government entities.
- Provide opportunities and support structures that promote effective academic writing and progress toward project completion.
- Help faculty receive deserved public recognition for their accomplishments and career achievements.
Goal 3: Enhance the vibrant intellectual community within and across departments, centers, and institutes.
- Financially support a large number and wide range of stimulating scholarly events on Notre Dame’s campus as well as at its Global Gateways.
- Build and maintain effective collaborative relationships with academic units across the University to promote productive interdisciplinary connections, teams, projects, and events.
- Provide best-in-class planning services for academic events at the Global Gateways, including logistical support and day-of-event management.