How to Apply
All proposals should be submitted through ISLA's online portal Submittable (access below).
*Permissible costs may be affected by the current health crisis. See here.nd.edu.
American Dream, DaVinci and Summer Comprehensive Grant Deadline: April 9, 2021
Proposal Format and Requirements
• Title Page (1 page)
- project’s title
- applicant’s name
- non-technical, 100-word abstract
• Project Description (no more than 5 pages)
- for an overviews of the proposal-writing process, see proposal writing guides for undergraduates and graduate students. To find out how your proposal will be evaluated, see proposal evaluation criteria.
- include an introduction, a brief overview of previous research, a description of research methods, a schedule for project completion, a description of collaboration (if appropriate), and a statement of research/creative goals. See sample proposal structure.
- one-inch margins
- 12-point Times New Roman font
- page numbers at bottom center
- figures or images (added only if they significantly aid in understanding the project) embedded within the project description with captions
- footnotes, endnotes, and in-text citations, using a discipline-appropriate citation style
- include bibliography, references on separate page following research plan (references not included in page limit).
• Budget (separate document)
Formatting, Content, Restrictions:
- table format (any size), itemize your expenses (see grant opportunity webpage for eligible costs). Justify the need for each expense. Include links to sites where cost information was obtained when helpful.
- $35/day for meals. Graduate students may choose to calculate their living expenses at 1/3 of per diem cost. If an applicant's stay at a given location exceeds 10 days, alternatives should be found to eating out. If this is not possible, please explain why.
- no audio-visual or computer equipment, room and board during quarantine periods, professional development activities, or software that is already provided through University site licenses.
- if an item is denominated in a foreign currency, please provide the USD equivalent, including the exchange rate.
- if you are driving your own vehicle, please use University guidelines to calculate your mileage.
- books purchased with ISLA funds must be returned to ISLA.
• Additional Requirements
- A letter of recommendation from a supervising faculty member in the College of Arts and Letters is required. Once you have submitted your application through Submittable, ISLA's grant-making software, your designated faculty recommender will receive an email with instructions for uploading their letter.
- If your research involves interaction with people (e.g., interviews, surveys, or observing non-public behavior), you must submit an application for Internal Review Board (IRB) approval. Please use Notre Dame Research's online application form for Human Subjects (IRB) Approval.
- If IRB approval is required, grant funding will not be disbursed until Notre Dame Research approves your IRB application. IRB approval must be specifically given to you, the student. If you are working on a project for which your professor has IRB approval, please ask the professor to have your name added to the IRB protocol. Questions regarding IRB approval may be sent to firstname.lastname@example.org. Notre Dame requires all personnel listed on the IRB protocol to complete the online Collaborative Institutional Training Initiative (CITI) module. Please refer to the Citi Training Selection Guide for directions.
International travel approval
- If approved for a grant involving international travel, you must register your travel with the Notre Dame International Travel Registry. Grant funds will not be disbursed until ALL components of the registry are completed. Failure to register may cause the loss of your grant. UROP proposals involving travel to countries for which a State Department travel warning has been issued will not be funded.
Requirements for Undergraduate Applicants Only
- Projects involving domestic travel require a completed, hand-signed Domestic Travel Waiver Form.
- International travel requires a Parental Consent Form and a Health Questionnaire. To complete the health questionnaire, schedule an appointment for a travel exam with University Health Services (UHS). Your personal physician can also complete the form if he/she has seen you within the past year and return it via email to email@example.com. Do not delay scheduling your travel exam. Find out if you need vaccinations before your departure, and, if you do, make sure that you receive them well enough in advance to be effective.
- Please be sure to review NDI's student and parent/guardian checklists. More information is available at NDI's student information and safety information pages.
Requirements for Graduate Student Applicants Only
- Your advisor will be asked to complete an online form certifying that they have reviewed your grant proposal and indicating if you need IRB approval for your research.
- You will be asked to upload a Curriculum Vitae that describes your education, work experience, etc.