ISLA's Academic Conference support services are available to College of Arts and Letters faculty for events that exceed a total budget of $10,000. Please contact ISLA's Academic Events Program Manager Kristen Garvin-Podell to make an appointment right away to discuss your event. Successful planning involves taking the following steps as soon as possible:
- Book space
- Discuss funding options
- Create budget proposal
Questions to review before your first appointment
- What will your meeting look like?
- What are the optimal spaces needed?
- Will your group be meeting entirely in plenary or general sessions?
- Or, will there be concurrent sessions or break-out groups? How many speakers and participants are international visitors?
- What is unique about your conference? (e.g., simultaneous translation, technical needs, scientific needs, book exhibits, poster sessions)
- What calendar pattern do you need?
- Are there special events within your discipline that need to be avoided? Or linked to?
- Does your scholarly association have policies in place that will impact your needs?
- Where and when did this group meet last?
- What kind of budgetary demands will there be and how is the meeting to be funded?
- Will it be entirely supported by registration fees?
- Is there outside funding available?
- Are there University funds already in place?
- What kind of assistance will you need in identifying budgetary resources for your meeting?
A 5% conference administration fee will be added to all conference budgets to help cover the many services ISLA's professional academic conference staff provides.
For more information contact Kristen Garvin-Podell (631-7291) located in 356 O'Shaughnessy Hall.