Travel to International Conferences
Proposals are accepted at any time except June 1 to July 31
Travel to International Conferences (up to $2,500)
Partial support is available to faculty members who present a paper or poster at a professionally organized conference located outside of the United States. The conference must be a society conference or a conference sponsored by a professional organization. Typically these organizations have an annual meeting, membership, registration fees, call for papers, peer review of submissions, and so forth.
No post awards will be given. This award does not cover:
- Invited lectures
- Working groups
- Ad hoc conferences
- Time-limited organizations
- Informal gatherings of scholars
To apply, please submit a proposal through ISLA's web portal with the following:
- Information about the conference’s significance (provide link to the conference website)
- Synopsis of the presentation (conference abstract is sufficient)
- Plans for the publication
- Travel budget with an explanation of budget items
- Please list all other funding sources, the amount requested, and contact information for those sources (name, email address, phone number).
- Attach or include the following:
- Documentation or confirmation of an accepted paper/presentation
- Documentation of projected airfare, hotel room rates, and conference registration fees
- An abbreviated CV (2-page limit)
ISLA will provide funding based on the following:
- 100% of the round-trip international airfare up to $750, plus 50% of the remainder (cap at $1,250)
- Maximum of $1,000 to cover other expenses (lodging, ground transportation, meals). Please use 50% of the State Department rates (ISLA will grant half of the daily rate)
- Registration fee up to $250
The total award cannot exceed $2,500.
Requirements for Reimbursement
- ISLA requires a copy of travel itinerary showing destinations and travel dates along with evidence of payment as soon as flight arrangements have been completed.
- In order to transfer your award funds successfully, ISLA will need your discretionary account number.
- ISLA requires a copy of your completed TravelND expense report (send copy to Stephaine Hasse or a copy may be dropped off at ISLA's office, 249 O'Shaughnessy Hall.)
- ISLA will not be responsible for canceled ticket fees or any charges due to changes in travel plans.
- If a conference trip is not taken due to an emergency, all unused award money must be returned to ISLA.
Faculty are limited to one award for travel to an international conference per academic year.