Frequently Asked Questions:
Is it acceptable to include transcription fees in the proposal?
Transcription and translation fees are acceptable in a proposal's budget when accompanied by a compelling rationale for the expense in terms of the applicant's research goals.
What sort of documentation is required for airfare and accommodation costs?
Please distill and synthesize the best travel prices and itineraries for reviewers; we do not want pages of potential costs. Foreign currencies should be converted to USD, indicating the exchange rate. If travel will be done with your own vehicle, provide an estimate of your fuel costs and tolls; ISLA cannot reimburse the current mileage rate. To estimate the cost of meals and incidentals, we would reimburse 1/3 to 1/2 of the U.S. government per diem rates.
Any suggestions for students traveling abroad?
Prior to international travel, we ask that you take the following steps to help ensure your safety:
- Register with the U.S. State Department’s Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP). This is a free service provided by the U.S. Government to U.S. Citizens who are traveling abroad. STEP allows you to enter information about your upcoming trip so the State Department can better assist you in an emergency.
- Review the following International Travel Guide and Safety & Security Tips for U.S. Students Traveling Abroad.
- Know how to contact the Embassy or State Department and the University of Notre Dame in case of an emergency.
- Review the following Mobile Device Safety Article.
- Look over this Student Checklist for International Travelers. Although it is for undergraduate students, the checklist provides a lot of good information that can help you during your travels.