Please click here to submit proposal (Only requests submitted through this website will be considered for funding.)
Large Grants for the Humanities
Large Grants ($2,500.00 to $15,000) for Humanities Research
- Two annual competitions: Second Tuesday of October and Second Tuesday of February.
- (October 11, 2016 & February 14, 2017)
- Limited to one large grant per year (July 1-June 30) per faculty member
- Most large grants will be in the $2,500.00-$10,000 range.
- These grants can be for collaborative research projects.
- Expenses must be well justified.
Large and Small Grants for Research and Creative Works cannot be used to cover:
- Funds to upgrade Campus Workstation Program (CWP) equipment; (the Office of Research has a yearly competition for equipment purchase and replacement: http://or.nd.edu/funding-opportunities/nd-internal-funding-programs/;
- Equipment (cameras, recorders, laptops/computers);
- Travel to domestic conferences.
- Grants do not cover salary for course buyout or summer salary for project director.
- Graduate student support or travel are not allowed as an expense.
Please take the Review Criteria listed below into account when constructing the proposal.
- Narrative of no more than 4 single-spaced pages describing:
- the significance of the project to the field;
- work plan and timeframe for both the overall project and the portion of the project ISLA would support;
- List and provide information about any collaborators you plan to work with on this project;
- any other information that will help the review committee assess the proposal.
- No more than one page describing plans for future external funding. Please briefly describe:
- the prospective funding agencies, foundations, institutes;
- why these agencies are a good fit for the project;
- any experience you have had or funding you have received from each agency, foundation, institute;
- the section or branch of the agency/foundation/institute that targeted for external funding;
- Any contact you have had with program officers.
- Please contact Ken Garcia for information and advice on this description.
- List any previous ISLA internal funding for last 5 years (when and how much, which project)
- List All current and pending Research support (including internal and external)
- An abbreviated CV of no more than 2 pages.
- A budget with budget explanation.
- In addition to the support requested from ISLA, please list all other sources, the amount requested from those sources, and contact information for those sources (name, email address, phone number).
Formatting of Proposals
All proposals must:
- Adhere strictly to the page limits for the specific ISLA grant initiative;
- Use nothing less than an 11-point font size;
- Use a standard font that one would use for grant or fellowship applications (Arial, Times New Roman);
- Maintain no less than .75 inch margins throughout the proposal;
- Exclude domestic travel to conferences;
- Exclude the purchase of equipment (the Office of Research has a yearly competition for equipment purchase and replacement: http://or.nd.edu/funding-opportunities/nd-internal-funding-programs/;
- Intellectual, methodological, and/or creative quality of the work proposed;
- Significance of the issue to be studied within the applicant's discipline and/or related disciplines;
- Qualifications and track record (based on rank) of the applicant;
- Likelihood that the project will be successful;
- The prospect that the project might lead to external grants in the future.